Our dates come from different regions of the world. The most important countries of origin for us are Israel, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Jordan and Iran.
Israel is known for growing date palms in the fertile valleys and oases south and north of the Dead Sea. The country offers ideal climatic conditions to produce high quality dates. Israeli dates are characterized by their sweetness, juiciness and variety of sorts. The most famous variety from this country is Medjool.
Saudi Arabia is one of the largest producers of dates in the world. The kingdom hosts large date plantations in the desert region, where date palms thrive thanks to the hot and dry climate. Saudi Arabian dates are known for their natural flavor and delicate texture.
Tunisia is another important country of origin for dates. The fertile coastal areas and oases provide optimal conditions for growing date palms. Tunisian Deglet Nour dates are popular for their honey-sweet and nutty flavor.
Jordan, a country with a diverse landscape, is also known for its date cultivation. The Jordan Valley region offers ideal conditions for growing date palms. Jordanian dates of the Medjool variety are known for their delicious taste and excellent quality.
Iran is a traditional date growing country with a long history. The different climatic zones in the country allow the cultivation of different date varieties. Iranian Mazafati dates are known for their unique taste and creamy texture.
Dates from these countries of origin produce a wide range of flavors, sizes and textures, enriching the culinary world. Each country has its own traditional varieties and growing methods that help make dates a prized product enjoyed in many countries.
As a company, we can ensure that the raising and cultivation of date trees is organic and safe by taking various measures:
- Eco-certifications: We work with reputable organic certification bodies that visit the farms and verify compliance with organic guidelines. These certification bodies ensure that date farmers use organic farming methods and adopt environmentally friendly practices.
- Regular farm visits: We ourselves regularly visit our farms to ensure that cultivation and growing methods meet the required standards. These visits allow us to verify working conditions, assess the condition of the date trees and ensure that no harmful chemicals are used.
- Friendly relationships with farmers: We place great emphasis on building and maintaining friendly relationships with our date farmers. Through close collaboration and regular interaction, we can build trust and ensure that farmers understand and respect our high standards for organic production and safety. By regularly testing fruit and soil samples, we and our farmers can ensure that our date palms are growing in healthy soil and that the fruit is free of harmful residues.
- Transparency and traceability: we are committed to transparency along the supply chain and track the origin of our dates. Accurate documentation allows us to track the entire process, from growing to harvesting and processing, and ensure that all steps comply with organic farming and safety guidelines.
These measures allow us to give our customers confidence that the raising and cultivation of our dates is organic and safe. We take the responsibility for sustainable and environmentally friendly production seriously and always strive to implement best practices throughout our supply chain.
Date harvesting is a traditional process carried out in date palm plantations. Here are the basic steps for date harvesting:
- Determining the optimal time to harvest: dates are harvested when they have reached the right degree of ripeness. This timing varies depending on the date variety and the desired flavor. Ripe dates have a characteristic color and are soft, sweet and juicy.
- Climbing harvesters: since date palms can reach an impressive height, skilled harvesters climb up the palms to reach the date panicles. They use special harnesses and safety equipment to work safely up the palms.
- Harvesting date panicles or individual dates: Dates grow on panicles located on the palm branches. Harvesters either carefully cut the entire panicle for later processing on the ground or pick only individual dates if the ripening process of dates on a panicle has progressed differently.
- Sorting and cleaning: After harvesting, date panicles are inspected for quality and freed from excess leaves and twigs. This step serves to prepare the dates for further processing and the packaging process.
- Sorting by quality and size: The dates are sorted and categorized by size and quality. This sorting ensures that we receive dates that meet our requirements.
- Packing and shipping: After sorting, the dates are packed into our different packing sizes and prepared for refrigerated shipping to Germany.
Date harvesting requires care and experience to ensure that the dates are of the highest quality. This process often involves manual labor and respects the centuries-old tradition of date cultivation.
Especially with our fresh date varieties, it can happen that fine, whitish sugar crystals form on the surface or spots appear under the date skin. These are usually the crystallized fructose from the fruit. However, if you are not sure whether everything is okay with the date, please do not hesitate to contact us.
We have good news for you: dates are always in season! This is exactly what we want to achieve with our different varieties of dates. Dates are traditionally available in Europe unfortunately only in the autumn and winter months, but thanks to the right refrigeration you can find fresh dates with us even in the summer.
Dates contain a lot of sugar. This is a mixture of fructose, glucose and some other types of sucrose. Fructose and glucose belong to the so-called simple sugars, the monosaccharides.
In our assortment we have various semi-dried and fresh dates. These varieties differ first of all in their aroma and consistency.
Furthermore, the growing area and local climate play a major role. While the Medjool date, for example, is in some places a desert date that grows below sea level (e.g. the region around the Dead Sea), the Mazafati date, which grows on a plateau over 1000 m high in Iran, is exposed to completely different conditions. This high up, it is very warm during the day and extremely cold at night. This is how, for example, the creaminess of this date comes about, as the date fibers form differently due to the special growing conditions.
The "soft" dates are fresh dates, which are in a constant cold chain after harvest and thus retain their original consistency. The "hard" dates are sun-dried and are harvested in a "late harvest". The fruit juice content is reduced by the intense sunshine. This sun-air drying process is the most natural way to preserve fruit for years without the addition of preservatives. It is therefore possible to store these dates at room temperature and the quality of the dates remains steadily the same, the vitamins and minerals are all preserved in the fruit. If the dates are placed in water, it does not take long for them to become soft again. This is because dates are hygroscopic and can release and reabsorb moisture.
The fact that dates are often referred to as the "bread of the desert" is due to their unusually high carbohydrate content of around 65%. But the comparison also expresses the important role they play for the desert population, especially in the countries of the Arab world, where dates have almost the status of a staple food in societies without refrigerators because of their availability, their energy richness, but also because of their shelf life. Dates are stored here for years in clay pots buried in the sand. On the journeys of the caravans, dried dates were the ideal way food and were extensively chewed soft during the long marches.
Copper, which is found in large quantities in dates, is important in our body for our energy balance and immune system. It supports the transport of iron in the body and helps our cells to protect themselves from oxidative stress. This refers to the so-called free radicals. Our connective tissue also needs copper. In addition to copper, potassium, a mineral rich in dates, is important for the proper functioning of our nervous system. Potassium also plays a major role in blood pressure and the functioning of our muscles. Dates are very rich in carbohydrates. Muscle as well as brain function is also supported by carbohydrates.
Beyond this information, we recommend that you find out for yourself on the web about the traditional uses of dates.
Although dates are currently still rather an exotic food and in Germany more known as a treat for the Christmas season, but with countless delicious recipes dishes can be conjured up for every season. A classic is stuffed dates with cheese wrapped in bacon. For the summer, you can make ingenious, refreshing smoothies, and dates are also great for pastries and cakes.
For more inspiration, check out our Recipes where we collect our personal favorite recipes!
Dates: sweet, brown, chestnut-sized. Did you know that dates, unlike strawberries, blackberries or raspberries, are botanically classified as true berry fruits ? Just like pumpkins and cucumbers, by the way! Dates grow in large umbels on date palms(Phoenix dactyliferia), which can grow up to 20 meters high and over 150 years old. The plant thrives best in areas with high temperatures and many hours of sunshine. Therefore, the countries of origin are mainly in the Middle East and North Africa.
We pay special attention to the quality and freshness of our products. Our fresh date varieties are in an uninterrupted cold chain after harvesting until delivery to you, which guarantees the preservation of the freshness of our fruits.
In addition, we do not want to compromise on the lives and fair incomes of our farmers. We believe that exceptional quality and fairness, both go hand in hand and furthermore it is important to us to maintain friendly and enriching relationships with our partners. We want to work and interact with people who share the same passion for healthy food!
For a delicious smoothie with fresh dates, the dates of the Mazafati variety are best suited, as this date has a very creamy consistency and hardly any date fibers. Furthermore, the Medjool and Sukkari varieties are also excellent for preparing a smoothie. For more recipe ideas, feel free to visit our Recipes category on our website.
If you want to use dates in fine pieces for baking or cooking, the most convenient way to chop the pitted fruit is with a blitz chopper or a chopping knife. A sharp household knife will also do, of course. For smoothies, creams and spreads, the best choice is generally the fibrous, creamy date variety Mazafati. These can be pureed well with a blender or a hand blender. Of course, it's even easier to save yourself the work and go straight for our pure date puree orthe delicious, minimalist chocolate andcoconut spreads from NaraFood. With only two ingredients each (date puree and cocoa mass or coconut oil), these date creams are just as valuable as those from your own kitchen.
The beauty of dates is that your own body itself gives you the feeling when it is enough and then you should stop. As part of a balanced and varied diet, it is recommended to consume an amount of about four to nine dates a day.
Fresh dates contain an average of 114 calories per 100 grams, while dried dates contain 285 kcal per 100 grams. The difference is due to the loss of water during drying and the increase in fructose content.
Fresh dates should be stored in the refrigerator at the coldest possible temperature to optimally preserve the juicy consistency of the flesh. Stored at room temperature in the air, the fruit will dry out. As long as dates are stored at room temperature in an airy place and not in sealed packaging, there is no risk of rot. Fresh dates can be kept in the refrigerator for one year, just like dried dates in the kitchen cupboard.
You can find our whole assortment including all specialties and refined date products here on our site in the online store. Of course you can also find us in some local organic stores and supermarkets like the BasicBio supermarkets, which carry individual parts of our assortment. Just ask your local retailers and stores for NaraFood products!
Date palms grow mainly in arid and subtropical regions of the world. Here are some countries where date palms are commonly found:
- Arabian Peninsula: countries such as Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Qatar and Bahrain are known for their large date palm plantations and a long tradition of date cultivation.
- North Africa: Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco and Egypt are important date palm growing regions in North Africa.
- Middle East: Countries such as Jordan, Iraq, Iran, Israel and Palestine are known for their date cultivation and produce different date varieties.
- Pakistan: Pakistan has a significant date industry and is known for growing high quality dates.
- India: date palms are grown in some regions of India, particularly Rajasthan and Gujarat.
It is important to note that the specific areas of cultivation may vary depending on climate, soil conditions and traditional cultivation practices. However, date palm is adapted to dry and warm conditions and thrives in areas with low rainfall and high sunlight.
Dried dates consist of approx. 65% carbohydrates, half of which are fructose and half glucose. While the water content is significantly higher in fresh dates, it is about 20% in dried dates. Dietary fiber accounts for 7%; other components are protein and minerals.
In addition, dates contain large amounts of the valuable minerals potassium and copper.
On date farms, in some cases several families work together to manage the cultivation and harvesting of dates. These family working communities allow the families to pool their resources and work more efficiently. Together, they take care of the date palm care, harvest the fruit, and the other agricultural work that occurs on the farm.
Other date farms employ guest workers from countries such as Egypt, Jordan, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. These guest workers assist farmers during harvest time and ensure that dates can be harvested in a timely and efficient manner. They often bring many years of date harvesting experience to the table and help ensure that the harvest is successful.
In terms of on-site working conditions, they vary by farm and region. It is important to note that in some cases, working conditions on date farms have improved as more attention is paid to labor rights and worker welfare. However, there are still challenges in some areas, such as adequate pay, working hours and accommodations for guest workers.
As a responsible company, we are committed to fair working conditions and work closely with our date farmers. Since our farmers work organically and in most cases this already means a different worldview, we perceive a positive work culture on our farms.
Shipping & Delivery
The note field is located in the shopping cart, above the checkout button. If the text field is not already open, please click on "Add note".
In this field you can, for example, leave your desired shipping date or a comment about your order.
The shipping time may vary depending on the shipping service provider. We ship from the south of Germany and with our common service providers such as DHL and UPS, the usual delivery time is usually 1-4 business days. This information refers to national shipping within Germany.
It is important to note that the shipping time may depend on various factors, including the shipping method, the destination country, the distance, the volume of the shipment and any customs formalities. In some cases, it may therefore take longer than 4 business days for a shipment to reach its destination.
We ship your order in normal cartons, which are not insulated or refrigerated. Although our dates are stored refrigerated, the unrefrigerated shipment does not negatively affect the quality of the goods. Refrigeration prevents the fruit from drying out in the long run. Therefore, please store the dates back in the refrigerator or icebox after receiving the shipment.
Returns & Refunds
You have a right of withdrawal of 14 days from receipt of the goods. To exercise it, inform us in writing within this period. In case of revocation you will receive a refund within 14 days. You will bear the return shipping costs. The right of withdrawal does not apply to perishable food or certain non-returnable goods.
For detailed information, please visit our cancellation page.
Problems with my order
If you have any problems, please feel free to contact us by mail or phone!
Phone: +49( 0) 8251 8916720
Payment & Voucher
To redeem your discount code or coupon card, follow these steps:
- Add the products you want to your shopping cart.
- Click on the "Checkout" button to proceed to the next page.
- On the page labeled "Information", you will find a box to redeem your discount code or coupon card.
- Enter the code in the appropriate field and click "Apply".
What happens after I redeem my discount code or gift card?
Once you have successfully entered and redeemed your discount code or gift card, the corresponding discount will be automatically deducted from your total. You will see the updated total before you complete your order.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to redeem your discount code or coupon card after the fact. This process requires considerable effort as, among other things, documents have to be cancelled and recreated. This would lead to considerable booking effort and require many manual steps. For this reason, we ask that you redeem the code on your next order.
We thank you for your understanding and look forward to assisting you with your next order.
If you are having trouble redeeming your discount code or coupon card, we encourage you to contact us. We are at your disposal and we will be glad to help you solve the problem.
Customer account & technical problems
You can reactivate your old customer account by following these steps:
- Go to the customer account icon on the top right of the page.
- Click on "Create an account".
- Enter your first and last name, email address and password (you can also use the old password).
- Click on the "Create account" button.
What happens after I create my account?
After you have created the account, you will receive a customer activation mail to the specified e-mail address. Please confirm this mail to complete the reactivation of your old customer account.
Can I use my old password for reactivation?
Yes, you can use your old password to reactivate your customer account.
Can I use my reactivated account immediately?
Yes, as soon as you have confirmed the customer activation email, you can use your reactivated customer account again regularly.
What should I do if I have problems with reactivation?
If you have difficulties reactivating your old customer account, do not hesitate to contact us directly. Our team will be happy to assist you and help you with any problems you may have.
If you have forgotten your password, please follow these steps:
- Click on the customer account icon at the top right of the page.
- Select the "Forgot your password?" option.
- Enter the email address you used for your account.
- After you enter the email address, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to reset your password.
What happens after I enter my email address?
Once you enter your email address, an email will be sent to that address. This email will contain a link or instructions for you to reset your password.
What information do I need to reset my password?
You only need the email address you used for your account. Make sure you enter the correct email address to receive the password reset email.
What should I do if I do not receive a password reset email?
If you do not receive a password reset email, please check your spam or junk folder. Sometimes the email can end up there. If you still can't find the email, please contact our support and we will help you solve the problem.
How can I order as a dealer at NaraFood?
To order as a dealer at NaraFood, please follow the steps below:
- Click on the account icon at the top of the page.
- Select the "Create an account" option.
- Follow the instructions to complete your registration.
After you have completed your registration, please send us an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Your VAT number
- A copy of your business license
After receiving your e-mail we will activate your B2B account. The normal login will automatically take you to the B2B area. There you can buy at your dealer conditions and benefit from our special offers.
We will also inform you about the activation by e-mail. Usually we simply reply to your original message to notify you about the activated B2B access.
Thank you for showing interest in ordering from NaraFood as a distributor. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Um bei NaraFood als Händler zu bestellen, folge diesen Schritten:
- Registrierung und Freischaltung: Melde dich nach erfolgreicher Registrierung und Freischaltung im Kundenbereich an.
- Zugriff auf B2B-Menü: Oben rechts findest du einen roten Button mit der Aufschrift "B2B Menü - hier klicken!". Klicke bitte darauf.
- Bestellformular aufrufen und Artikel auswählen: Im kleinen Menü wählst du "Bestellformular". Auf der neu geladenen Seite werden alle Artikel als Liste angezeigt. Wähle hier bitte die gewünschte Menge aus.
- In den Warenkorb legen: Klicke oberhalb der Artikelliste auf den blauen Button "Produkte hinzufügen", um die Artikel in den Warenkorb zu legen.
- Zum Warenkorb gehen: Unter dem Button "Produkte hinzufügen" gelangst du direkt zum Warenkorb, indem du auf "Produkte im Warenkorb" klickst, oder alternativ über das "B2B Menü - hier klicken!" auf "Warenkorb" klickst.
- Bestellung abschließen: Im Warenkorb bitte auf "Zur Kasse"klicken.
- Checkout Bereich: Hier kannst du unter anderem deine Kontaktinformationen wie Liefer- und Rechnungsadresse eingeben oder aktualisieren.
- Bestellung abschließen: Klicke im Checkout Bereich auf "Jetzt Bestellen" – deine Bestellung wird nun an uns übermittelt. Im Anschluss erhältst du eine Bestellbestätigung per Mail.